When getting ready to move, one of the first things on your to-do list can be to find a mover and reserve a moving date, which makes knowing how to choose the best moving company a necessity. Because there can be a sense of urgency to secure the date needed, it can be tempting to skip the due diligence that should be exercised when looking for a moving company. The result can be having a less than respectable fly-by-night moving company in charge of all your personal possessions, a situation no one wants to find themselves in.
Protect yourself and your belongings by enlisting the help of an industry-respected Houston moving company that has a proven record of serving customers well in years past and that operates with that same standard of excellence still today.
How to Choose the Best Moving Company
The question then becomes how to navigate the literally hundreds of listings for moving companies to find one that is reputable, professional, and trustworthy. Some tips on how to choose the best moving company can be to find a provider that is:
- Industry-respected. If a moving company is rated well by professional organizations, such as the Better Business Bureau, and has received achievement awards, it speaks to the level of respect they have earned within the industry among their peers and previous clients.
- Family owned. Family owned and operated moving companies tend to take great pride in their work because everything they do reflects on the family’s name and reputation. These companies are usually willing to go the extra mile to do their jobs with integrity and excellence that both their employer and customer can be proud of.
- Local. Going with a local moving company ensures that they have an intimate understanding of the area. This can be particularly helpful in large cities in which navigating a complex web of interstates and highways may be required. Local employees and drivers should have a better understanding of what roadways to avoid at peak rush hour and alternative routes for construction detours.
While this is a great starting place, it is recommended to verify that the companies making the cut on your list also hire hand-picked employees rather than contract movers. Hiring on employees typically means that the company does thorough background checks and drug screenings. Those companies who hire contract workers may not require these individuals to submit to these processes, which means they may not know everything they need to before sending the worker into your home.
Once you have narrowed the list down to companies that exemplify these traits, the next step is to look for what services they provide.
What Services to Look for in the Best Moving Company
Not all moving companies offer the same scope of services, so while it may sound obvious to verify the services an entity provides, it is highly encouraged. If you are wondering how to choose the best moving company, the top 6 considerations include:
- Versatility. The more types of moves a company has successfully completed, the more prepared they generally are for future moving jobs. Make sure a company has the capacity to do both residential moves and commercial moves that are in-state, across state lines, and even internationally.
- Excellent customer service. When it comes to how to find the best moving company, one of the top considerations should be the quality of customer service they provide. This can range from the number of services they offer, to the types and frequency of communication they employ, to the occurrence of updates a customer receives during the move itself.
- In-person quotes. While it may seem like a time saver to get a moving quote online or over the phone, both require an accurate estimate of the number of boxes and pieces of furniture to be moved from the customer. If the customer is not packed yet, it can be easy to underestimate the number of boxes that will need to be moved. This means the quote could go up on moving day, and there could potentially be issues with having the right size moving van. To avoid this type of situation, look for a company that will send an employee to the home or business to provide an accurate in-person quote after surveying the rooms and spaces that need to be moved.
- Packing and Unpacking Services. Packing services can be particularly attractive for those who are aging, those who require an expedited move, or even those moving overseas. Choose a mover who, if needed, will be willing to show up at your location with packing supplies in hand and that will expertly pack up the necessary items. Unpacking services are frequently used when there is a need to settle into the new destination quickly and avoid living among boxes for weeks at a time. Selecting a mover that offers this service as well may help people acclimate to their new surroundings faster.
- Low damage rate. The goal is to have boxed and wrapped items moved to their destination without a change in their condition, such as a break, crack, or other type of damage. However, this may happen from time to time due to a number of reasons, ranging from a box that is not packed with proper balance to many other situations. Still, the damage rate number should be low, so look for one of close to one percent.
- Truck maintenance. When moving, the focus tends to be on the items being moved but the success of the endeavor depends in large part on the condition of the moving trucks. A vehicle that is not regularly maintained and does not abide by DOT standards could be at risk of breaking down, which would cause a move to be unnecessarily delayed. Find a professional company that regularly performs maintenance to their vehicles.
Now that you know how to choose the best moving company, make that knowledge work for you by doing some homework before signing on the dotted line. This process can provide confidence and peace of mind that is practically priceless.