As evidenced by the increasing number of individuals and families moving to the suburbs of Houston, people have good reasons to consider moving to Bellaire, Texas. Each year, Johnnie T. Melia Moving and Storage moves individuals from across the state and the nation to this small but growing town located just southwest of Houston proper.
Welcome to Bellaire
With an estimated population of seventeen thousand plus, Bellaire has the unique distinction of feeling like a small town nestled just outside one of the largest cities in the nation. Despite its close proximity to Houston, Bellaire maintains its small town feel with its very own mayor, city council, police department, and fire department.
The area is home to individuals of all ages but has a blossoming population of young families. While there are some high-rise buildings just along Loop 610, the majority of the city is considered to be residential and boasts award-winning parks and recreation programs.
Making the Most of that Small Town Vibe
Part of the allure of Bellaire is its small-town charm that exudes character and community. Some of the primary services and landmarks that help create this appealing ambiance include:
- First-class municipal services – Whereas some suburbs have been annexed to the city of Houston and must subscribe to their services, Bellaire happily retains its independence and offers its own municipal services such as weekly trash and recycling collection.
- Public safety departments – The city has its own police department comprised of several dozen full-time police officers as well as more than a dozen non-commissioned personnel. Bellaire’s fire department is comprised of personnel that are certified as a paramedic or EMT by the Texas Department of State Health Services and as structural firefighters by the Texas Commission on Fire Protection.
- Schools – The city offers two public elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school. However, for those that prefer, the city is also home to four private schools.
- Public library – Open to students, parents, readers, and learners alike, the public library is generally open six days a week and features a wide variety of books, Wi-Fi, and access to computers and printers.
- Restaurants – The dining scene in Bellaire is unique, with local mom and pop restaurants that can range from more casual pizza and burgers to exotic sushi to Thai.
- Bellaire Town Square – Centrally located, the Bellaire Town Square is frequently full of activity from city events, baseball games, tennis matches, swimming at the pool, and enjoyment of the playground and open green space.
- Bellaire Recreation Center – Here city residents can access the fitness center and basketball court.
- Bellaire Civic Center – This area can be a hot spot of activity thanks to its standard meeting rooms and thriving senior activity center.
- Parks and Recreation – Perhaps the most stunning of all the attributes of Bellaire is its gorgeous park areas that feature quaint picnic tables and picturesque walking trails so residents can soak up some sun while enjoying being in nature.
Advantages of Being a Suburb to Houston
Although Bellaire’s residents tend to prefer the comforts and benefits of living in a suburb, there are also some substantial perks to being situated just outside one of the largest cities in the nation. With a wide variety of activities for almost every interest, the amenities Houston offers are virtually unparalleled as evidenced by:
- Culture – Art is celebrated here and is available to patrons in many different forms. For those who enjoy the performing arts, an afternoon at the Houston Ballet or the Hobby Center can offer delightful performances designed to transport the viewer into captivating storylines. The city also regularly hosts traveling art exhibits that can be found in museums and about town.
- Museums – With more than a dozen museums to choose from, it comes as no surprise that Houston features what is fondly referred to as the Museum District. Here culture seekers can find everything from natural history to space to colorful butterflies. A day at the museum can be the perfect activity for the entire family to enjoy together.
- Sports – Houston knows sports and has the professional teams to prove it. Whether it is football with the Texans, baseball with the Astros, basketball with the Rockets, or soccer with the Dynamo, each of these teams plays seasonal games that make for a fun outing.
- Travel – The city offers not one, but two airports: William P. Hobby Airport and George Bush Intercontinental Airport. No matter where work or leisure takes you, between these two airports your destination is just a plane ride away.
- World-Renowned Healthcare – The Texas Medical Center in Houston is world renowned. While Bellaire features local doctor’s offices and healthcare providers, within Houston are internationally recognized hospitals such as MD Anderson, Texas Children’s Hospital, and TIRR Memorial Hermann.
- Zoo – The Houston Zoo is one of the largest in the area, featuring a wide variety of exotic animals, interactive exhibits, and even an opportunity to feed the giraffes. In addition, the zoo typically offers special holiday themed events such as Zoo Boo at Halloween or Zoo Lights during the Christmas holidays.
In keeping with the residential and family-based theme of the city, those considering moving to Bellaire, Texas are encouraged to start their journey with local movers that are Houston-based and family operated. Johnnie T. Melia Moving & Storage was founded in 1969 and has more than fifty years of serving communities such as Bellaire.
As a family-owned business, we understand the importance of respecting our clients, offering quality services, and getting the job done right. We place great value on a job well done and have been honored to make our clients’ moves over the years more worry-free and exciting as they look forward to fresh starts and new beginnings. We handle the details of planning, packing, and even unpacking so that our clients can focus on their families and making memories in a new city.
If the above reasons to consider moving to Bellaire, Texas don’t seal the deal for you, think about visiting the area in person, and when you do, make sure to stop by our family moving company so we can help facilitate your new adventure.